Friday, October 14, 2011

Color Copies? WHAT!?

Book Of The Week
12 Choices...That Lead To Your Success; By David Cottrell; Call # BF637.S8 .C66 2005 @ Murphy Library
For a recent class assignment I was required to choose a motivational/leadership book, read it, and write a brief summary as to how I could apply it to my daily life as well as my future career.  To be completely honest I was not looking forward to reading it, but, once I picked it up it was hard to put down.  It is split into 3 separate sections and with each separate section there are 4 different choices that it explains.  Thus, why the book is called '12 Choices...', by making the choices listed in the book it is supposed to help you become more successful and reach your goals.  I finished it the same day that I started it (only 130 pgs) and definitely recommend it as a must read for someone looking to add a little boost or to improve their motivation in all aspects of life.





Study Tip
Do you find yourself losing concentration easily while studying?  Need help re-engaging yourself?  This is a trick that I like to use to help keep my focus and avoid becoming disinterested.  Whenever I plan to do a lot of studying I make sure I create a tiny schedule on a note card or make a mental note of what I want to do. I plan out how long I am going to study and then choose 1 or 2 exercises to perform intermittently.  Here's an example...
  • Study Time: 2hrs>>>reading 2 chapters from a textbook and taking notes
  • Exercises: Body weight Squat and Push-ups
  • Description:  Roughly every 20-30 minutes I stop what I am doing and I perform as many reps as I can of both exercises(2-4mins).  This raises my heart rate, increases blood flow, helps to wake me up, and gives some kind of variation to my studying other than sitting and reading/writing.

Try it, you might find that it helps you avoid becoming stagnant while studying and gives you a little bit of exercise to boot.

Hint:  I use my wristwatch timer to let me know when its been 20-30min.  I try to choose exercises that work my entire body or I pair a upper body and lower body movement together.  This will increase blood flow to the entire body and will help to wake you up.



Random Library Info
Have you noticed the new copiers in the Library Copy Area?!  They are finally up and running and accept money from your student ID Tower Tender.  You can make normal black and white copies or color copies for .10 and .50 cents, respectively.  You can also scan to a jump drive for FREE!!!  The scans can be done in color and black and white as well.

1 comment:

  1. Oh hey Murphy Library! I really like your study tip Kyle...but I prefer to do sun salutations to help me stay awake during studying!

    ReplyDelete